The Five Dubs

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moving In

Before I end this story, I want to recount one more God-orchestrated meeting. Remember this trip? Kris and I went to Baltimore on a vision tour for a Southern Miss BSU mission trip. He was planning a return trip to work with Embrace Baltimore. The team planned to work alongside New Hope Community Church and the pastor wanted us to see first hand the needs of the area.

Kris had taken a team to Baltimore for Spring Break '08 and through a series of events he was put in contact with Jaimee, an employee with Embrace Baltimore. Through her contact they were able to complete some good work in the area and connect with other big needs for the future. When we returned for the vision tour, I had the honor of meeting Jaimee at the Saturday night church service. As we talked I felt the urge to ask her about her future plans (I knew her position with Embrace was only two years and her term would be up in the Fall). She began to tell me that she and her husband really had a heart for foster children and were considering becoming house parents for a children's home or some other similar outreach. Granted this was January and it was many months before their service was up...but I had to tell her. She had to know about Michael! So, I proceeded to tell her about him, a little about his journey, and the status of the new children's home. She was receptive and said I could share her information with my friend.

Wouldn't you know that about a month later I ran into Michael at a local restaurant and had the opportunity to tell him about Jaimee and her husband!?! He was super excited as house parents are very hard to come by. Another month passed and he contacted me asking for Jaimee's contact info. Well, I started to get nervous, fearing that Jaimee would think I was crazy...this random girl she had met once for an hour or so, calling her up about a job in South MS. I talked it over with Kris and he insisted that she would not think I was crazy...so I did what any other human being would do...I sent her a message on Facebook! A few exchanges later and she and Michael were in touch. After phone interviews, an on-site visit, and much prayer - The deal was sealed. Jaimee and her husband were hired as the house parents for the first cottage and would be moving to Mississippi in the Fall with hopes of accepting their first children in the summer of '10. God has a plan. A good and perfect plan!


In July the first children to benefit from Homes of Hope for Children moved in to the cottage and settled into their bedrooms with fresh paint, new bathrooms, their own closet, and desk to decorate...all donated/purchased by supporters and Pepsi. What a great day!

Since that initial move-in, they have welcomed a total of 5 children ranging in ages 5-17. We had the privilege of taking supper to them and meeting two of the children (who are precious!). You couldn't help but leave knowing that the wait time - for the site to pull up and the sound of the can to pop open, every day for 30 days - was worth every second! For these children have a beautiful home and loving house parents to nurture, protect, and provide for them...all amenities they deserve.

blog

0 comments: