Memaw passed away on August 24, 2010.
This post has taken me a little while to write. Every attempt - from finding pictures to recalling stories - brought tears that would not allow me to type.
I am honored to have known Memaw and for it my life is richer. She loved me and she loved my children.
- Not a day goes by that I don't stand at my kitchen window looking toward her house and remember the many afternoon conversations sitting on her patio.
- Not a day goes by that I think about the phone ringing and her voice on the other end asking if Bankston was feeling OK and if he was going to come see her.
- Not a day goes by that when looking for the kids my first thought is "they're probably at Memaw's" with the mental image of them sprawled out on her den floor, glued to the TV, munching on graham crackers.
- Not a day goes by that I remember her sitting in her recliner, and I opposite her, and her "filling me in" and when she'd get to the point she wanted me to hear she'd tilt her head down and look over the top of her glasses to emphasize the story.
Memaw was a giver. She was always thinking of what she could give you. We would laugh because she had no desire to keep things for herself. Today's newspaper? Glucerna? Little church figurine? Photos from her own birthday party that her sister mailed to her? Take them!
When we started building our house nine years ago, I had no idea the impact of living next to Memaw. For sure she changed my life and made it richer. For sure the impact on my own children's lives is priceless. I never could have imagined the relationship and bonds she developed with all three.
- I love the comfort they felt in walking the path of worn grass over to Memaw's.
- I love that she let them rule the roost and help themselves.
- I love that whatever was hers...was just as much theirs.
- I love that they would curl up in her lap...and fall asleep.
- I love that when they returned home I could tell they had been with Memaw because they smelled like Memaw.
Memaw and Wes, October 2002
Memaw and Wes, May 2003
Memaw and Ladybug (aka Ann Elise), October 2006
Memaw and Bankston Hays, November 2008
Memaw sharing lotion with Ann Elise, June 2007

Memaw with my family, Christmas 2009
Memaw celebrated her 90th birthday on March 8, 2010. Her children pulled together a party at the church fellowship hall and many family and friends attended in her honor. It was such a fine day. She enjoyed herself to the fullest. I am so glad the effort was made to celebrate such a special lady!


Memaw and her children, nieces, and nephews, March 2010

Memaw and her grandchildren, March 2010

Memaw with her great grandchildren (minus Bankston Hays), March 2010
As life goes on, we will learn to live life without Memaw. But for this I am sure: she is where she belongs - full of life, free from the ailments of old age, and enjoying the presence of our Risen Savior.See you soon, Memaw!

2 comments:
That was beautiful! What a blessing she was to you all!
Christi
That was beautiful! What a blessing she was to you all!
Christi
Post a Comment