The Five Dubs

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Anniversary trip to NYC

In August, Kris and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary. YAHOO!! What a great 10 years. When I look back over our time together, it makes me smile. God could not have made a better partner for me (and He knew that) and every minute has been worth it! So, with such a milestone anniversary ahead of us we started talking about doing something nice. We would go back and forth on whether or not to spend some money this way. We could easily talk our way out of it, but just as easily dream our way into it! The closer our anniversary got, we bit the bullet and bought our plane tickets...to NYC! We have both been to New York before but had never been together. We were so looking forward to visiting the big apple, just the two of us. So, I hope to take a post or two and write about our trip. (Considering I am so behind on my scrapbooks I fear I am going to lose my memory of these precious days if I don't get them documented). I hope you enjoy reading about what we did. But, I am pretty sure it was much more fun to live it! :)

Our good friend (and Kris' boss), Lloyd, took us to the airport early, early on a Wednesday morning.



We boarded the plane and soon found out their were some mechanical issues that delayed us just long enough that we missed our connecting flight. But, no worries, because the airline got us on the next flight without any problem and we safely landed at La Guardia just an hour later than we had planned. We caught a cab to the Excelsior Hotel and checked in. Once we were settled we walked to the subway, bought a 7 day pass, and headed south to Coney Island. Kris and I had done a little research in preparing for our trip and had made several plans. Going to Coney Island was something we had tossed around, not really knowing what we were getting into, but thinking it would be fun nonetheless. When we first got off the subway we came upon Nathan's. You may recognize this place as it holds the hot dog eating contest every summer.



And I must say, they serve a pretty good hot dog!



We took a little time to walk around and explore the sights. I am not sure I have words to describe the place. Maybe fair-ish, maybe freak show-ish, but yet beautiful boardwalks and nostalgia abounding? Hard to imagine...I am sure! Anyway, we did not see much that we wanted to participate in. So, after a short walk along the boardwalk and admiring a close-to-sunset view of the water we stopped at the infamous Cyclone of Astroland. We walked right up to the counter, bought our tickets, and boarded the roller coaster in less than 5 minutes. It was loud, it was rickety, it was old, it was fast, it was an experience of a lifetime!





With the sun going down and the "crowds" becoming more and more shady, we boarded the subway and headed back to the Upper West Side. A first day together, well spent, and looking ahead with excitement! (Stay tuned for more about our trip in a later post)

0 comments: