The Five Dubs

Saturday, January 31, 2009

OK, I'm hooked!

I definitely love to read. I especially love to read Christian Romance Novels. I am one of those kind of readers that totally gets sucked in, can't put it down till it's the last page, breathe and dream with every character, tears streaming down my face - you get the idea! My world has a tendency to totally stop until the book is finished. Laundry? Cook supper? Change a diaper? I have 3 children? What?!? I have not reached a point where I have picked back up on my reading since Bankston Hays was born (it seems as though my babies have been about 18 months before I have been able to do so). However, with Kris and I heading out of town for the weekend, I made a run by the library and checked out two books just on the off chance I might get an opportunity to read. I went not knowing what I would select but knew my friend, Erin, has been talking and blogging about one of her new obsessions over the last few months...Karen Kingsbury. So, I checked out "Even Now" by her and the infamous "Twilight" by Stehphenie Meyer. With as much buzz that is going around about "Twilight", I couldn't resist checking it out when I saw it by the counter. But, when I had the time to read, I couldn't bring myself to go there...just can't get past the idea of vampires for some reason. I still have the book for another 2 1/2 weeks so I might...we'll see. Anyone want to convince me on way or the other? However, I did find the time to read "Even Now". Beginning to end. Good thing Karen Kingsbury has authored over 40 novels! I'm hooked!

8 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

pick up twilight and start reading. and after 2 or 3 days when you're through, let me know what you think.

i'm just kidding - but really, i did read it in about 3 days. i know it's about vampires, but that is almost pushed to the back of my mind - you end up being focused on the love story between bella and edward. but yes - you have to face the vampire issue, too.

honestly - nevermind....we'll talk about it after you read it. a good clean book.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Karen Kingsbury!
I have heard from a number of people that the love story is in the forefront in Twilight.... ??? let me know what you think if/when you read it!

christi

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Karen Kingsbury!
I have heard from a number of people that the love story is in the forefront in Twilight.... ??? let me know what you think if/when you read it!

christi

Bev said...

I have to admit that I fell hard for Twilight. I have read all 4 books 3 times and the unfinished book on her website 3 times as well.
It's truly a timeless love story and they are not traditional vampires, so it's easy to forget that aspect of the story.
I honestly admire Stephenie Meyer for taking the time out of her life to write like this. She's a stay-at-home mom to 3 boys and I admire her willingness to write like she did.
I can loan you my copies if you ever change your mind and want to read the whole series.
There's rarely bad language (myabe less than 5 cuss words through all 4 books) and no inappropriate "relationships" outside of marriage.

arr-jay said...

I love, love, LOVE Karen Kingsbury!!! So glad you have discovered her, too.

Are you also a fan of Francine Rivers?

Erin said...

Oh girl! Go for Ever After, the sequel to Even Now! I cried even more after the second one! I am so glad you got some time to read!

her said...

After my firt Karen Kingsburg book, I am on her email list when new books come out.

She rocks! I most definately agree w.Erin..Ever After is great too!

I am suppose to get the Twilight book from a friend after she gets it back...I am not for sure on this book however.
I do have another book series that I like...the author is Wanda E (oh help, I forgot her last name and I am to lazy to go to the bedroom to find the book) Anyway, she writes same as Karen but in the Amish country settings.

I understand the lack of time for reading. I am going to Atlanta w/my husband as he goes to a conference...he is afraid I will be bored just sitting in the hotel room...ah! LET ME SEE, I can sit in an easy chair read a book all day long, and not have to get up b/c a dish is in the sink or the dryer jut buzzed, or the lint on the carpet starts driving me crazy. Nah, I think I will enjoy my time in a quiet, no work to do hotel room.

Joy, Debi

her said...

After my firt Karen Kingsburg book, I am on her email list when new books come out.

She rocks! I most definately agree w.Erin..Ever After is great too!

I am suppose to get the Twilight book from a friend after she gets it back...I am not for sure on this book however.
I do have another book series that I like...the author is Wanda E (oh help, I forgot her last name and I am to lazy to go to the bedroom to find the book) Anyway, she writes same as Karen but in the Amish country settings.

I understand the lack of time for reading. I am going to Atlanta w/my husband as he goes to a conference...he is afraid I will be bored just sitting in the hotel room...ah! LET ME SEE, I can sit in an easy chair read a book all day long, and not have to get up b/c a dish is in the sink or the dryer jut buzzed, or the lint on the carpet starts driving me crazy. Nah, I think I will enjoy my time in a quiet, no work to do hotel room.

Joy, Debi