Earlier this week it was that time again. I needed some sauteed onions for what I was making and my stash was depleted (I have been known to have one BIG cry fest and chop several onions, saute them, and freeze them). I was not looking forward to it. However, I remembered seeing an ad that just might help me out. The ad was for onion goggles. Yep, onion goggles.

Wouldn't you know these onions came with an "onion goggle" price, too?!?
I got to thinking about this concept. Would Wes' swimming mask do the job?

For no more tears, I was willing to try!
Oh, yes I did! I wore the above snorkel mask while I chopped the onion. And I am proud to report that I remained tear free - for free! (Guess I want be storing that piece of summer equipment after all!)
On the subject of onions, another pet peeve of mine about chopping onions is the way my hands continue to smell of onions for quite a while after I am finished chopping. No amount of soap seems to help. I came across a tip (I think from Martha Stewart) a year or so ago that really works!! All you need is stainless steel. Got a stainless steel sink? That will work. Used a stainless steel knife to chop the onion with? That will work! All you need to do is rub your hands on the stainless steel when you are finished. VOILA! The after-chopping-onion-smell is history!
5 comments:
I LOVE IT!!
I ant to see the picture of you chopping while wearing the goggles!
Good idea!
Christi
I was hoping for a picture of you in the goggles too :) Great idea!!! Several Christmas' ago, my mom gave Joy and I "kitchen baskets" filled w/ fun kitchen things and in it was a stainless steel bar that looks like a bar of soap for the smelly hands that onions give you. Sad to say, I've yet to try it b/c I don't tend to chop too many onions... but I'm sure it works.
too funny presley!
That is awesome! I have been known to have to reapply make-up after chopping onions. They KILL me. And, I have reason to believe they kill me more than the average person. So it seems you and I are kindred spirits on another facet, my friend. Thanks for the tips!
So good to know!!!
Post a Comment