The Five Dubs

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sweet Revelations

One of my most cherished moments with each of my children is rocking them to sleep. I know, I know. Some think it is taboo. And, as big a follower of BabyWise as I was, I rebelled in this one area. I have chosen to rock each of my babies to sleep (or just about) and have loved every second. I look forward to that time of night when it is just me and the baby one on one. I am already dreading the day of moving Bankston Hays into his very own big boy bed. For this is the time when rocking my other babies has come to an end.

Over our three children I have found a groove with how this scenario works. Of course, each child always throws their own likes and dislikes into the mix - they way they sit or curl up in my lap, the position they like for my arms to hold them, etc. As I start to rock I start to sing. A certain repertoire has evolved over the years and the next song naturally flows out of my mouth without me hardly thinking about what song is next.

Well, the other night as I was rocking Bankston Hays and he was settling into my chest and grabbing my hands to pull them tighter to him. He soon started saying "ing", meaning "sing". So, my nightly repertoire ensued. After a song or two he started saying "lellow pea". I continued to sing because I did not know what he was wanting. He conitnued to say "lellow pea" and I continued to sing not understanding him. But, when I started singing the "ABC's" he quieted down. Once I got to the part of the song "L M N O P", I got it. He had been requesting the "ABC's".

By all means little man! I'll sing "lellow pea" anytime you want! I love him!

3 comments:

taterbugs said...

OH MY! I am so excited that a Baby Wise Momma rocks her babies. Guess what? I, too, have rocked my babies, of course, I've never admitted it aloud, for fear that a "baby wise" momma might get me! I still rock Taylor from time to time. I LOVE to rock, it is the ONE time every day that I KNOW I MUST sit down and soak up my babies. Thanks for sharing. So sweet! Susan

Amber said...

So sweet! I am a rocker too... I followed Baby Wise's instructions for many things (mainly the routine) but I love to rock and my babies love to rock, so that's what we do! (& they both slept 12 hours a night without a peep starting at 12 & 13 weeks!)

arr-jay said...

I love this! I have no idea about anything BabyWise-related, but I do SO love it when kids say "lellow." :-D