The Five Dubs

Tuesday, April 28, 2009


A fellow blogger, Tales From The Crib, has been giving herself the award "Mama Wins" occasionally. In her own words she describes this award as " to honor the little things we as moms do that get little, if any, recognition. these are the kinds of things that i find myself doing (occasionally) that make me say to myself, 'i should get an award for this.'" Every time she awards this she has chosen something specific i.e. carrying on adult conversations while little children running around the house crazily, relaxed the "little-or-no sugar" rules to truly enjoy the Easter holiday, bravely forge ahead with their motherly duties no matter what kind of health problems they are dealing with. (I took/paraphrased those from examples from her previous "Mama Wins" blog posts - you can click on her name above to go to her blog).

This morning when I read her "Mama Wins" post it resonated with me. She gave herself the award for "today's award goes to you mamas out there who let your kids wear what they want to wear, when they want to wear it, even if you believe it brings shame to you and your name". As I have written about on occasion, this is something I tend to struggle with. It just so happens that yesterday, I overcame this issue for one outing :) Mondays are very busy for us. After a morning of errands and taking Bankston Hays to Mommy and Me we pick up Ann Elise from Preschool and take her to gymnastics. She has to change into her leotard in the van. Once we are back home she runs up to her room and picks out something from her "play clothes". Today, that selection consisted of an old "princess on a horse" T-shirt with several red dirt stains, a non-matching pair of coral colored knit shorts, neon striped Hello Kitty socks, and pink tennis shoes with rainbow colored glitter. Awesome!! The great thing about this? I not only let her out of the house, I let her go to the Library. Yes! Once Wes got home from school, the four of us loaded up and went to the Library - Wes in his uniform, Bankston Hays in a sweet appliqued shortall, and my very own Punky Brewster! I only wish I had taken a picture. It would have made a great addition to this post!

4 comments:

Shana said...

Good for you! I, too, struggle with this in an immense way sometimes.

All 3 girls have a play-clothes box (AKA the "we don't go into public with these clothes on" box).

I have a Punky Brewster too. She is all about self-expression. I have not gotten up the courage to let her past the front yard in some of her ensembles...maybe someday!

Her favorite is a hand-me-down gymnastics outfit with a shirt UNDER it and polka-dotted tights under it as well. Throw in some assorted and sometimes mismatched dress up shoes, and you've got a winner!

Amber said...

I'm hoping this is mainly a girl thing... It's too cute when it's somebody else's child, though!

I once saw a ~4 year old Ratatoulli (sp?) in Old Navy... I think I'd rather be seen with Punky Brewster!

Bev said...

I, too, struggle with this with Gabby. Today, for instance, she went to school in a jumper (that's almost too small) with a shirt that matched BUT with knee socks and shoes that no more matched a thing she had on.
They think she's funny and daring at daycare so I just let it go when I can. It's her birthday tomorrow so I let her have her thing. :)

Kelly said...

Hi Presley! I have enjoyed catching up and reading your blogs! I'm looking forward to the entry about Omaha and the slide :) Margie has gotten me to start my own blog too, I'm a beginner but hopefully I'll think of something interesting to blog about, www.kellyusm.blogspot.com!