As Kris and I were building our house and dreaming of the children we wished to have, I often thought about that growth chart in my mom's house and the special memories it held. I thought it would be special to have one of our own. A year or two passed, Wes was born, and before long he was standing on his own. I remembered the growth chart idea and got busy. I chose a space in our laundry room and started outlining a "yardstick" on the wall, painted it in with some leftover paint, and began our own tradition. Now, our kids look forward to their birthdays and leaving their mark!
I also mark my nephews heights when they come to visit. My sister made the comment that she would like to have one of her own. As we talked about her own, we decided that a movable one would be best for her (they have moved several times and were currently building another house). I got to searching online and found several cute, pre-made charts. But then I came across a blog post about how to make your own. My mind started turning and before long my sister and I had a plan for creating her own growth chart.



**Note: These pictures were taken in my red dining room. My sister's laundry room is brown.
Supplies:
two 1'X 2' canvas art boards
coordinating scrapbook paper (we went with colors from her laundry room)
little bit of paint
ric rac
buttons
stickers
staple gun
modge podge
hot glue gun
tape measure
sharpie
Staple the two canvas boards together to create one long board. Paint the sides of the canvas. Modge podge the scrapbook paper onto the canvas. Hot glue ric rac and buttons. Measure out the canvas and apply stickers accordingly. Hang at correct height. Start filling in your measurements with a sharpie.
A few weeks ago I was in town and took it to her. I think it looks really good in her new laundry room. Now my nephews have their own place to leave their mark!
3 comments:
Look's great! You're such a good aunt and sister. I envy the close relationship you all share.
Kim
thanks! ive been looking for one too! i also have memories of my parents marking our heights on the wall:) i def. like the idea of having a portable chart, we do not plan to stay here forever!
You're so ridiculously creative...and talented!
Post a Comment