The Five Dubs

Friday, November 21, 2008

A: Appetizers

I love appetizers - most of the time I enjoy them as much, if not more, than the meal! I enjoy having a little something to munch on as I get acquainted with people, as I read a menu, and as I visit with those I love. Appetizers can be sweet, salty, crunchy, or smooth - as long as they are yummy!

In honor of the "A" in Thankful I am posting two of my quick-fix, all-time favorites. I hope you can squeeze them into your holiday plans...they will not disappoint!

Something sweet and crunchy...

Toffee Apple Dip
8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
8 oz bag Toffee Chips
8-10 Apples

Blend first four ingredients. Stir in Toffee Chips. Slice apples (soak apples in pineapple juice if not ready to serve or to preserve).
*May be served cold or room temperature.
**Store in airtight container up to five days.

Something salty and smooth...

Baked Pimento Cheese (Southern Living Magazine, December 2004)
1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
1 jar (4 oz) Diced Pimentos
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Onion (finely grated)
1/4 tsp Red Pepper
8 oz Extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)
8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)

Stir together first five ingredients in a large bowl. Add cheeses. Spoon mixture into casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until dip is golden and bubbly. Serve with your choice of crackers (I have used Ritz, Club crackers, and Wheat Thins).

3 comments:

Lozada's said...

Hey woman! I have started the THANKFUL on my blog too. I just loved the idea! How are things going? We are getting ready for Turkey day. Working more hours this week so it's been a busy one!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness... I have all the ingredients for the toffee apple dip and I LOVE some pimemto cheese!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness... I have all the ingredients for the toffee apple dip and I LOVE some pimemto cheese!